Did you know that our gut is like our second brain? This week we spoke to Dan Gerick, the founder of Bushwick Biotech, Singapore’s very first Kombucha brewery, on why a happy gut equals a happy human, the 101 on probiotics, microbiome and why he is on a mission to make people more beautiful and healthy from the inside out.
Coming all the way from The Big Apple to our Tiny Red Dot, Dan Gerick was literally getting sick every couple of week. Yikes, that’s no good. Feeling that his personal gut microbiome just wasn’t adjusted to what was going on in the other half of the world, his body finally gave in and he ended up with dengue fever after 3 months in Singapore. He realised that even though he was trying to work out and eat healthily, what he was missing was probiotics.
“Mainstream medicine recognized the gut as kind of being our second brain because it
actually contains over a hundred million neurons which are the same thing that our
brain is completely made up of.” – Dan Gerick
So getting into the science of it all, this is known as the Enteric Nervous System. It’s connected by the Vagus nerve from the gut all the way to the brain—the longest nerve in the human body. The microbes in our gut actually use this direct line of communication with our brains as a neurochemical signalling pathway and it causes the release of various hormones to our endocrine system in cooperation with our brains. Learn more about the science behind it and how this mystical communication helps us to heal ourselves from the inside out from Dan himself in his interview below.
In this interview with Dan, we speak about:
- The difference between Kombucha and Milk Kefirs
- How taking care of your gut health is a form of preventive medicine
- And how happy gut microbes equals a happy human
Try out Dan’s Little Green Steps:
- 1) Take care of your gut health. It’ll improve your skin. It’ll improve your vitality. It’ll improve your immunity.
- 2) You shouldn’t have to wear it on your sleeve. Just be the change.
- 3) Play around with your Kombucha, make it into popsicles, bake it into cornbread but find a way to incorporate it into your diet.
Kick start your healthy gut with Bushwick Biotech.
Don’t let your conscious journey end here! Get a weekly dose of inspiration, knowledge, and action delivered right to your inbox, join the conscious movement here.