Is the food that you are eating medicine or poison?
‘When farmers are growing fruit or vegetables, to prevent them from being eaten by insects and animals, they are sprayed with pesticides and chemicals to protect the crops. What’s the difference between us and the bug? It takes longer to kill us, but its still killing us’ – Elika Fit, health coach and the founder of Kitchen By Food Rebel.
An interesting thought, with the food we are eating, are we healing ourselves or slowing killing ourselves? Catch Elika’s full explanation on why we should go organic and the benefits with this video here.
As the saying you goes you are what you eat.. so don’t be fast, cheap and easy! – #LittleGreenSteps
With heart disease, cancer, and diabetes on the rise, let’s get real about our food to see how food can be medicine and prevention over cure.
Here are a few #LittleGreenSteps to get you started:
- Make a gradual transition to buying organic. If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately? Start by buying seasonal or regional produce. Then check out the ‘dirty dozen’ (12 foods that have the most pesticides) or the ‘clean 15’ (15 safer foods with minimal chemicals).
- Look out for trusted organic labels such as the USDA Organic seal and Non-GMO Project label. Here is a certified organic label guide to help you.
- Eat less meat. Go one day a week without eating meat as meat is very often pumped with growth hormones, antibiotics, and other chemicals. Start by making your Mondays meat-free with Green Monday.
- Plant your own kitchen garden. Get some seeds from The Seeds Master and plant your favourite herbs & veggies in your own kitchen. Plantui’s smart garden is a great way to kick start you kitchen garden.
- Get fresh organic veggies delivered to you every week by Frank Food Company. Frank Food Company delivers a box of certified seasonal veggies to you within 12 hours of harvest. Find out more here.
- Try organic food… or as your grandparents called it, food!
Meet The Conscious-Preneur – Liam Mccance
How do you fancy organic vegetables delivered to your home in Singapore? Well, that is exactly what Frank Food Company does – from the volcanic soil in Central Java right to your doorstep. We spoke to Liam McCance ‘the marketing guy’ to find out more.
What does conscious fashion mean to you? Leave us a comment, we’d love to know. And if you’re on insta, use #LittleGreenSteps so we can celebrate your conscious choices!
Help us keep our content free
It seems like you enjoyed our content and are on your way to better understanding how to be more conscious. As you’ll know, we’re on a mission to make sustainability accessible, mainstream and sexy. And we would not be able to do it with you. We would love you to support us even further in our GITNB movement by helping us create even more content to keep inspiring you and the rest of the world. Aside from being able to enjoy even better reads, you’ll also receive a GITNB t-shirt consciously made from upcycled fabrics in partnership with a Cambodian social enterprise supporting women. For a small donation you will make a huge difference.SUPPORT US HERE